The Higher Committee for Defence was founded in accordance with law number 24 for the year 1963, whereby article one of the law comprises the formation of the committee which is headed by the Prime Minister and the membership of the following:
- Deputy Premier and Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Chief of the National Guard
- Minister of Defence
- Minister of Interior
- Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs
- Minister of Finance.
- Minister of Information
- Minister of Communications
- Army Chief of Staff
- Undersecretary in the Ministry of Defence
The law sanctions the committee to add to its membership one or two members, their membership term is determined by virtue of a decree on condition that it does not exceed three years.
The law also sanctioned in article three that the committee may include Ministers of whom it deemed appropriate to participate in specific issues, and seek the assistance of expert advisors.
Decree number 90 for the year 2004 issued on the 14.4.2004 incorporates the Chairman of the National Security Apparatus to the membership of the Higher Committee for Defence.
Functions of the Committee
The Higher Committee for Defense undertakes the higher affairs for defense, maintains the security of the country, and supervises the armed forces, conscription policy and other related matters. It particularly assumes the following responsibilities:
- Drawing the higher policy for defense.
- Coordinates the means of cooperation between numerous State apparatus In the defense affairs.
- Examines the need to impose martial law.
- Voices opinion in the event of declaring a defensive war, conditions of truce treaties, military agreements and higher issues in general war operations during conflict.
- Voices opinion on every military law before submitting to the National Assembly.
- Voice opinion on every issue the Minister of Defense considers taking the opinion of the National Assembly.
Article two of the law of establishing the Higher Committee for Defense defines the method of presenting proposals related to the functions of the committee which stipulates submitting to the Minister of Defense and the Cabinet, each within its jurisdiction, and in the event of rejecting the proposal a reason should be put forward.