Civil services that are carried out by the administrative body in Kuwait have been, and will remain an object of government concern and attention. It spares no effort in acting to raise the efficiency of this body and modernize it to be in conformity with the steady progress in various fields of civil services required by citizens.
Law number 15 for the year 1979 was issued to establish the fundamental principles and comprehensive rules for civil service issues. Article 4 of the provision law includes the establishment of a civil service commission chaired by His Highness the Prime Minister or who ever he commissions to modernize the public administration , develop civil service systems and raise the efficiency of employees in the government body.
The mentioned article illustrates that the commission must be formed by a decree that determines the duration of the membership, the precepts and procedures of its meetings, and it is authorized to form committees of members and non-members.
Jurisdictions of the Civil Service Commission
- Drafting general policies pertaining to administrative development in the government body to ensure its organization, planning its work force and developing it, and developing the employment system and other fields of civil service.
- Acting to develop State administrative system, voicing opinions in defining the objectives of ministries and public administrations, their functions, organization and means of coordinating between them.
- Recommending the general policy for salaries and wages to ensure coordination between government bodies and public authorities, institutes and companies in which the government contributes over half its capital.
- Recommending draft laws and bills specifically related to the civil service and voice an opinion on any recommendation.
- Recommending the establishment of public authorities and institutions and voice an opinion on projects of establishment.
- Issuing mandatory explanations to government bodies in relation to civil service legislations.
- Recommending systems specializing in supervision of performance, following up results and revealing the obstacles.
- Regulating the assistance of specialized consultancy agencies in the fields of organization, administration and communication with scientific authorities, as well as promoting research and studies in these fields.
- Reviewing issues referred to the cabinet from the civil service.
- The civil service commission specializes in other functions stated in the civil service system according to the pertinent decree issued on 4/4/1979.
Decree number 343 for the year 2007 was issued to form the civil service commission chaired by His Highness the Prime Minister and the following members:
- Deputy Premier and Minister of State for Cabinet affairs.
- Minister of Oil.
- Minister of Information.
- Minister of Social Affairs and Labour.
- Minister of Finance.
His Highness the Prime Minister issued resolution number 2 for the year 2007 commissioning the Deputy Premier and Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs to preside over the civil service commission.